Operating System Interview Questions and Answers
Are you a developer? Need to update your software development knowledge or need to prepare for a job interview?
Check out this collection of Operating System Interview Questions and Answers...
Operating System Interview Questions and Answers
- What's OPERATING SYSTEM?
- OPERATING SYSTEM TYPES
- You need to see the last fifteen lines of the files dog, cat and horse. What command should you use?
- Who owns the data dictionary?
- You routinely compress old log files. You now need to examine a log from two months ago. In order to view its contents without first having to decompress it, use the _________ utility.
- What are the basic functions of an operating system?
- Why paging is used?
- While running DOS on a PC, which command would be used to duplicate the entire diskette?
- What resources are used when a thread created? How do they differ from those when a process is created?
- What is virtual memory?
- What is Throughput, Turnaround time, waiting time and Response time?
- What is the state of the processor, when a process is waiting for some event to occur?
- What is the important aspect of a real-time system or Mission Critical Systems?
- What is the difference between Hard and Soft real-time systems?
- What is the cause of thrashing? How does the system detect thrashing?
- What is multi tasking, multi programming, multi threading?
- What is hard disk and what is its purpose?
- What is fragmentation? Different types of fragmentation?
- What is DRAM? In which form does it store data?
- What is Dispatcher?
- What is CPU Scheduler?
- What is Context Switch?
- What is cache memory?
- What is a Safe State and what is its use in deadlock avoidance?
- What is a Real-Time System?
- Operating System Questions 1
- Operating System Questions 2
- What command can you use to determine the location of the command being run?
- You locate a command in the /bin directory but do not know what it does. What command can you use to determine its purpose.
- What option should you use in this command line to be successful
- When you issue the command ls -l, the first character of the resulting display represents the file's ___________.
- What utility can you use to show a dynamic listing of running processes? __________
- Where is standard output usually directed?
- You wish to restore the file memo.ben which was backed up in the tarfile MyBackup.tar. What command should you type?
- You need to view the contents of the tarfile called MyBackup.tar. What command would you use? __________
- You want to create a compressed backup of the users' home directories. What utility should you use?
- What daemon is responsible for tracking events on your system?
- You have a file called phonenos that is almost 4,000 lines long. What text filter can you use to split it into four pieces each 1,000 lines long?
- You would like to temporarily change your command line editor to be vi. What command should you type to change it?
- What account is created when you install Linux?
- What command should you use to check the number of files and disk space used and each user's defined quotas?
- In order to run fsck on the root partition, the root partition must be mounted as ___________.
- In order to improve your system's security you decide to implement shadow passwords. What command should you use?
- Bob Armstrong, who has a username of boba, calls to tell you he forgot his password. What command should you use to reset his command?
- The top utility can be used to change the priority of a running process? Another utility that can also be used to change priority is ___________?
- What command should you type to see all the files with an extension of 'mem' listed in reverse alphabetical order in the /home/ben/memos directory.
- What file defines the levels of messages written to system log files?
- What command is used to remove the password assigned to a group?
- What command would you type to use the cpio to create a backup called backup.cpio of all the users' home directories?
- What can you type at a command line to determine which shell you are using?
- What type of local file server can you use to provide the distribution installation materials to the new machine during a network installation?
- If you type the command cat dog & > cat what would you see on your display?
- What command can you use to determine this
- You have the /var directory on its own partition. You have run out of space. What should you do?
- You have a new application on a CD-ROM that you wish to install. What should your first step be?
- When you create a new partition, you need to designate its size by defining the starting and ending _____________.
- What key combination can you press to suspend a running job and place it in the background?
- The easiest, most basic form of backing up a file is to _____ it to another location.
- What type of server is used to remotely assign IP addresses to machines during the installation process?
- Which password package should you install to ensure that the central password file couldn't be stolen easily?
- When using useradd to create a new user account, which of the following tasks is not done automatically.
- You want to enter a series of commands from the command-line. What would be the quickest way to do this?
- You attempt to use shadow passwords but are unsuccessful. What characteristic of the /etc/passwd file may cause this?
- When you install a new application, documentation on that application is also usually installed. Where would you look for the documentation after installing an application called MyApp?
- What file would you edit in your home directory to change which window manager you want to use?
- What command allows you to set a processor-intensive job to use less CPU time?
- While logged on as a regular user, your boss calls up and wants you to create a new user account immediately. How can you do this without first having to close your work, log off and logon as root?
- There are seven fields in the /etc/passwd file. Which of the following lists all the fields in the correct order?
- Which of the following commands will show a list of the files in your home directory including hidden files and the contents of all subdirectories?
- In order to prevent a user from logging in, you can add a(n) ________at the beginning of the password field.
- You have a directory called /home/ben/memos and want to move it to /home/bob/memos so you issue the command mv /home/ben/memos /home/bob. What is the results of this action?
- Which of the following tasks is not necessary when creating a new user by editing the /etc/passwd file?
- You issue the following command useradd -m bobm But the user cannot logon. What is the problem?
- You wish to print the file vacations with 60 lines to a page. Which of the following commands will accomplish this?
- Which file defines all users on your system?
- Which two commands can you use to delete directories?
- Which partitioning tool is available in all distributions?
- Which partitions might you create on the mail server's hard drive(s) other than the root, swap, and boot partitions?
- What other factor must you consider when planning your backup strategy?
- What utility can you use to automate rotation of logs?
- In order to display the last five commands you have entered using the history command, you would type ___________.
- What command can you use to review boot messages?
- What is the minimum number of partitions you need to install Linux?
- What is the name and path of the main system log?
- Of the following technologies, which is considered a client-side script?
- Mac OS X Command Line 101
- Installing Apple Mac OS X 10.4.5 on a Compatible PC
- Integrating a Mac running OS X 10.4 to support printing to a shared printer on a Windows host
- Compiling open source projects typically requires a C compiler and gcc is typically the compiler of choice. Mac OS X doesn't install the gcc compiler by default but it is freely available in the xcode suite of development tools.
- Deleting a user account is neat and clean with Mac OS X. This recipe describes the procedure and consequences of deleting a user.
- Windows System, Unix Questions and Answers