Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> XHTML Tutorials and Tips >> Index
XHTML Tutorial - "h1" - Heading Tags/Elements
(Continued from previous topic...)
What Are Heading Tags/Elements?
Heading elements are block level elements that can be used directly as
a sub-element in the body element. You can use heading elements to specify
heading in different sizes.
Here are basic rules about heading elements:
- There are 6 heading elements, named as "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", and "h6".
- Heading elements are mixed content elements.
- Heading elements can have empty contents.
- Heading elements can have PCDATA as contents.
- Heading elements can have in-line elements as contents.
- Heading elements can not have block elements as contents.
- Heading elements are block elements. They can not be used as in-line elements.
- Browsers display different heading elements with different font sizes.
"h1" element will be displayed with a larger font size, and "h6" with smaller font size.
Here is a good example of heading elements:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
<title>Levels of Headings</title>
<h1>XHTML Recipes by FYIcenter.com</h1>
<h2>Menu for the HEAD</h2>
<h3>Recipe #101 - Creating Doducment Title</h3>
<h2>Menu for the BODY</h2>
If you save the above document as headings.html, and view it with
Internet Explorer, you will see that 3 levels of headings as shown below:
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is the "body" Tag/Element?
- What Is Wrong with My "body" Elements?
- What Elements Are Allowed as Body Sub-Elements?
- What Attributes Are Allowed in the Body Element?
- What Is a "p" Tag/Element?
- Can I Mix Images with Text in a Paragraph?
- How To Control Line Breaks in a Paragraph?
- How To Highlight One Part of a Paragraph?
- How To Get Extra Space between Paragraphs?
- What Is Wrong with My "p" Elements?
- What Is a "pre" Tag/Element?
- Are Tab Characters Preserved in a "pre" Element?
- Can Images Be Included in "pre" Elements?
- What Is a "blockquote" Tag/Element?
- Can "blockquote" Elements Be Nested?
- What Are Heading Tags/Elements?
- What Are "hr" Tags/Elements?
- What Are Other Block Elements?